Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Choices

Every person, all the events of your life are drawn there because you have them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you. -Richard Bach


These past 5 snow days have seriously gotten the best of me and and my blog, but most importantly on updating you on one of my last posts. I love this quote because I really struggled on deciding whether or not I would accept my invitation to join Teach for America.  I think that when you are forced to make a big decision that could potentially influence the rest of your future, you have to base your decision off what you're feeling at that moment, and what you're mind and body are saying to you. After a good week of peaking into the lives of TFA alums and current core members (many of whom work in the bay area), i realized teaching might not be what I'm cut out to do.


Talking with everyone and hearing their stories made it even harder for me to say no to Teach for America because it would have been the most empowering, rewarding experience. However, I decided that for me, right now I need to focus on my career, rather than commit to two years of teaching. My biggest concern was being assigned to teaching high school Spanish. I wanted to join TFA because I wanted to work with children and kids...14-19 year olds are not children--and for any of you that have heard me speak spanish-my accent, well, it isn't the best. I just would hate to get myself into a place of frustration, when that job needs to be 125% positivity and direction all the way through. With these other thoughts, I also figured that at the age of 21,there must be so much more for me to explore, discover and figure out about myself and what I want to build my career and future into. 


I know this sounds selfish when I was one of the many chosen to try and help these kids and work to close this terrible education gap in America, but I think that it's okay for me to be a little selfish right now-especially in a time where I am still trying to figure out what it is I want to do. Everyone, every place and every event in my life will still be there...they're just still waiting for me to discover them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment